History

Unlike many across the country, the Branksome Parish and its Church are young. Less than 150 years ago the area was a collection of small cottages, heathland and the occasional clay pit. No roads, no businesses and certainly no places to worship.

But during those few short years, the parish has seen constant growth. And as it grew so did the need for a church. St Aldhelms, dedicated to the first Bishop of Sherborne was built to accommodate this growing Parish.

On these pages we try to tell some of this story.

Vicars

2015 Revd Wayne Lautenbach

2010 Canon Stephen Batty

2002 Revd Stephen Batty

1993 Revd Stephen Lake

1980 Revd Robert Raikes

1970 Canon John Warne

1960 Revd J.C. Townsend

1955 Revd H.A. Norris

1952 Revd J.C. Meyer

1945 Revd R.A. Wells

1934 Revd R.L. Higham

1931 Revd F.P. Crosse

Creation of the Parish of Branksome on 30th December 1930

Following are Vicars of All Saints Branksome

1922. Revd Ernest Bury

1915. Revd Canon D. Macleane

1909. Revd H.C. Percival

1882. Revd C.G. Doyne

Curates

2007 – March 2011 – Revd Sarah Bryant

July 2000 to Sept. 2004- Revd Simon Metzner

? to 1999 – Revd Henry Pryse

1963 to 1966 – Revd John Bloomfield

1956 to 1961 – Revd S J (John) T Buffrey

? to ? – Revd Isaac Ogunro (on one year’s secondment from Nigeria)

? to ? – Revd Kenneth Wolfe

? to 1955 Revd Robert C H Corbin

? to ? Revd Bryant